Re: error while adding entry using ldap.jar JAVA API

Howard Chu wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
Aaron Richton wrote:
The database which I am trying to update is 24GB in size,  OpenLDAP
2.3.27
we've definitely had quite a few database fixes since then. Update
your server to the latest release as seen on www.openldap.org and try
again.

Is it just me or do people on this list never support problems related
to anything but the latest release? Not everyone can immediately upgrade
to the latest release to fix any issues they have, and they shouldn't
have to either. Previous versions (to an extent) should be supported
just like any other product.

It's just you.

The fact that we do point releases is exactly how previous versions get supported. When a bug is found in e.g. 2.3.27 and the fix is released in 2.3.28, then if you want the fix you have to install 2.3.28.

How exactly do you expect people to receive fixes, if not by installing them when they are available?
There is a difference between knowing definitively whether the OP was running into a bug and by upgrading it would be fixed compared to just telling him he has to upgrade because some bugs have been fixed (not necessarily the one he is running into, if he is even running into one) and that he won't get much or any help unless he does the upgrade. The knee-jerk reaction on this list is usually to tell people to upgrade. That works great if it can have a good chance of fixing the problem but that doesn't usually seem to be the reason people are told to upgrade.

It wasn't specified whether the OP was running into a bug or not. He was just told to upgrade. I'd prefer to know ahead of time if it was me that an upgrade would actually fix it instead of going thru the time of doing it and not fixing it and it having the chance of breaking something else.

It isn't just with this guy's post either. I see "You are way out of date. You need to upgrade." answers to a lot of questions on here. Obviously the best case scenario is for everyone to run the latest code but that isn't always possible

At least some rationale ahead of time for upgrading would be nice in my opinion because I got the impression it is just used as an excuse to not help someone. I'm the type to ask 'why' before I'm told to do something to better evaluate the proposed solution. That may very well be the wrong impression but it is one that was easy to arrive at.