Re: Is Master-Master architecture available in openldap?

Dmitriy Kirhlarov skrev, on 08-04-2008 15:57:
Padmavathi Dt wrote:

Hii List,
We need to set up an environment where we will have two LDAP servers that work in primary-secondary mode ie,.. if primary goes down ,secondary should serve as primary(as it is like a master ie,... it should have all the capabilities as a primary server)
Please tell me if this is possible with openLDAP as in master-slave architecture,when master goes down slave can serve in read only mode(as far as my understanding)
Also tell me from where i can get some additional info about these topics....

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html

As the above doesn't cover standard ldap /clients/ with simple syncrepl slaves, it's worth pointing out that uri in /etc/openldap/ldap.conf (or wherever you have it) can give a failover uri to be attempted if the first isn't available; the same with /etc/ldap.conf:

uri ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fslapd%2fldapi ldap://oikos.leerlingen/

My experience is that, if allowed (can be configured in /etc/ldap.conf, don't know about the other), failover is almost instantaneous.

Best,

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw