Re: slapd: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files

Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> writes:

> There's no 32 bit vs 64 bit distinction here.  The distinction is
> whether you built on a newer kernel/glibc that supports epoll() vs an
> older platform that only supports select(). If you're using epoll() then
> the FD_SETSIZE definitions are completely irrelevant, and the ulimit is
> the only controlling factor.

Aha!  That explains it, and explains why I was confused.  In that case,
this bug is now fixed, and I'll close it.  We disabled epoll for a while
when we were still supporting Linux 2.4, but that's not been the case for
some time.

Thank you very much for the explanation.