Re: Supported RFC's and "features"

Marc Chantreux wrote:
On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 12:30:09PM -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
- RFC 2891 (server side sorting)
Why is this problematic?  Server side sorting is a horrible waste of server
CPU that's better served by the client doing sorting how it wants.

well ... i think this feature could be very usefull in certain cases.

Imagine I just want to know what's the max uidNumber used in my directory.
actually, i ask the server to give all the uidNumbers and my client sort
them. isn't it an horrible waste of bandwidth ?

In OpenLDAP you would set an equality index on uidNumber and do a query for, e.g., (uidNumber<=2147483647) with sizelimit=1.

The server side sorting feature is an extremely indirect (and inefficient) route to answering this particular question; you get the answer you're looking for as a side-effect of a non-standard query. That seems pretty silly, when you can just get the answer as a direct result of a standard LDAP query.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com