Re: cn=config example

Howard Chu skrev, on 21-09-2007 21:58:

What is the amount of assumed knowledge? It would be fair to tell what
are the requirement for reading the doc and where they can be
acquired...

From the Project's perspective, I think the basic requirements include:
basic sysadmin skills on your target platform - you need to be proficient enough to operate as a superuser/Administrator without obliterating your machine.

Certainly without pretty comprehensive shell and a bit of Perl knowledge combined with OL tools such as ldapsearch and ldapmodify, coping with my 1150+ user site would be a nightmare. The basic ideas I stole from others in the beginning ...

basic netadmin skills - if you have to deal with IP filters, firewalls, strange routing configurations, it's your obligation to be cognizant of those things.
security requirements - if you're trying to implement security, you have to have a clear policy spec that tells you what you're trying to secure, from whom.
basic LDAP/X.500 knowledge - you should already know what "DIT" and "DN" stand for, you should know what a schema looks like and what it does. You should know the syntax and semantics of a search filter, and what all of the standard LDAP Request types are. You should know how an LDAP URL is structured, etc. Essentially, at least enough familiarity with everything in the LDAP RFCs to recognize the terminology.

Since the Project releases source code only, you should have basic proficiency with software development tools and procedures - how to use the basic tools of the trade - configure, make, cc, etc. For people using a prebuilt distro, this is probably not a requirement.

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl