Re: Where to find error messages?

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
Marcum, Bob wrote:
I get the following error message from my running ldap instance:
<= bdb_equality_candidatges: (objectClass) index param failed (18)

It doesn't really seem to have much effect on the ldap operations, but I
would like to know what the message is telling me.  Mostly, I would like
to know where to look and how to decode such ldap messages (without
having to ask every time :).

There is no specific documentation for those messages; in any case, it
is simply indicating that a filter contained an attribute value
assertion that is non-indexed, and thus could not be exploited for
search candidate selection. It has null impact on functionality, it's
only there so that you can decide to indicize that attribute.

Actually,
slapd-bdb(5) reports that back-bdb/hdb **NEED** equality index on
objectClass to function properly, so that message is indeed very important.

A bit overstated. The backend will still work without that index, but most operations will be much slower.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com