[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

Re: High availability

Tony Earnshaw wrote:
Taymour A. El Erian skrev, on 21-08-2007 08:21:

Would you happen to have any documentation on how to implement chaining ?

If you've built from source (Buchan's srpm or whatever) and have a build directory from a successful build, go to $DIR/tests, run './run test032-chain'; when it's done, got to ./testrun and look at both slapd.?.conf; that should give you a basic idea, together with the rest there.

I always get this error

Could not locate slapd(8)

What "always"?

When do you get this error? What are you doing at the time?

(In Thunderbird I attempt to remove incorrectly inserted quotes and *try* to correct anathema-waking coding and formatting).

I checked the code and this happens because of the following check
if test ! -x /usr/sbin/.3 ; then

Nowhere in my test environment can I reproduce (or anything like it) such a path. If you're in $tests, and after a successful build, whatever it is, is testing for slapd, then slapd is in ../servers/slapd/slapd. There's never any '.3' in /usr/sbin/, whatever happens, and never will be.

I get the error when I try to run the test as you noted above

AFAICS you never produced a successful build, but I could be wrong.

Anyone else care to help Taymour on his way? I give up ...

Here is an excerpt of the code from run script


export AC_bdb AC_hdb AC_ldap AC_ldbm AC_meta AC_monitor AC_relay AC_sql \
       AC_accesslog AC_dynlist AC_pcache AC_ppolicy AC_refint AC_retcode \
       AC_rwm AC_unique AC_syncprov AC_translucent AC_valsort \

if test ! -x /usr/sbin/.3 ; then
       echo "Could not locate slapd(8)"
       exit 1


This test is what's giving me the problem I rebuilt the openldap using src rpm



However, I broke my own chain slapd config file on the relevant (Samba) slave server and my shell scripts which I use for master updates etc. kept getting referral errors, even with the above configs. I spent "a good time" on this and finally got it working again with the following:

overlay chain
chain-uri               ldaps://ldap.master/
chain-idassert-bind     bindmethod=simple

I was using digest-md5 SASL binding and ldap with starttls, which I always use for all replication etc., but that was what was breaking chaining - no idea why.

This is OL 2.3.37, BTW.

I'd seriously forget doing *anything whatever* (let alone "High availability") with OpenLDAP until you can get this little thing working.




Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl

Taymour A El Erian
System Division Manager
TE Data
E-mail: taymour.elerian@tedata.net
Web:     www.tedata.net
Tel:    +(202)-33320700
Fax:	+(202)-33320800
Ext:    1101