Re: moving ldap database and upgrading

Jul 18 08:08:01 maude slapd[27079]: main: TLS init def ctx failed: -1
If I then try to start slapd using slapd -d 16383, it seems to start
up fine, but can't read the database.

Are you starting it with -d at the command line (perhaps as root), but the init script uses -u slapd or similar non-root uid? It's very odd to me tha the TLS complaint doesn't show up with -d, and I wonder about certificate permissions.

I'd try slaptest and/or slapd -d config to make sure that's all sane, again making sure to run it as the slapd user.