Re: moving ldap database and upgrading

On 7/18/07, Maria McKinley <parody@u.washington.edu> wrote:
Hi there,

I am trying to move my ldap to a new machine to upgrade from
openldap2.2 to openldap2.3. I moved all of my config files and created
new certificates, but I am having difficulties. I am running on
Debian, and if I start slapd by /etc/init.d/slapd start, I get:

Did you export the database with slapcat and reimport it with slapadd?

Here are the instructions I use (taken from a local wiki):

Export the ldap database to an ldif file

This is done using slapcat.

[root@ldap1 root]# slapcat > /home/Administrator/ldap1.20061006.ldif

Stop the destination ldap server

sysserv0 ~ # /etc/init.d/slapd stop

Backup the old ldap database folder

We can use tar here.

sysserv0 ~ # tar cjf slapd.tar.bz2 /var/lib/openldap-data/

Prepare the ldap folder

sysserv0 ~ # rm /var/lib/openldap-data/*
sysserv0 ~ # tar xjf /root/slapd.tar.bz2 var/lib/openldap-data/DB_CONFIG

Import the ldap database

sysserv0 ~ # slapadd -l /home/Administrator/ldap1.20061006.ldif
sysserv0 ~ # chown ldap:ldap /var/lib/openldap-data/*

Start the destination ldap server

sysserv0 ~ # /etc/init.d/slapd start

John