Re: how to maintain OpenLDAP database ?

That's a FINE question, and there are a million ways to do this. Two
quick ideas are:

* Use something like swatch or logwatch against your replication log
files and syslog (local4 if I remember correctly) logs.

* Use Big Brother (insert preferred monitoring software <here>), write a
simple log parser agent, and then trigger an alert if there is ever
unexpected or error output in the log.

I prefer exception-style reporting, so the second option works better
for me.

One of the biggest mistakes I see with clients when they are doing
replication is not monitoring for a failure in the replication itself.
Failures happen, always, and you need to be prepared to catch it. There
is nothing worse than failing over to your standby to find out that it
has data that is three weeks old. :)

--
Puryear IT, LLC
Identity Management, Directory Services, Systems Integration

"Best Practices for Managing Linux and UNIX Servers"
  http://www.puryear-it.com/pubs/linux-unix-best-practices