using syncrepl to create a backup

Hi there,

Couldn't find this addressed anywhere in the manual or the mailing
list, so please forgive me if this is a silly question. I am looking
to use syncrepl to create a backup of my ldap server. I was wondering
how difficult it is to change setups between consumers and producers.
Is it enough to just change the slapd config file on the consumer to a
copy of what was on the producer when the producer goes down for some
reason, and just have the clients configured with both ips (I'm
assuming they will just go down the list until they find one working,
and the consumer will otherwise just point them to the producer)? A
related question, can ldap.conf always point to localhost if localhost
is always either a consumer or a producer, or do consumer ldap.conf
need to be pointed to the producer?

thanks a bunch,
Maria