Re: Migrating openldap db backend from ibdm to bdb

Hi

> Migrate to BDB or HDB.  Here's the rough idea:
> shutdown slapd
> slapcat -f /path/to/slapd.conf -l mydb.ldif
> vi /path/to/slapd.conf
> Change your database to a new directory.
> Read about tuning, cache sizing, and other stuff.
> Read openldap man pages. ( what to read ;)
> Read oracle's tuning docs for bdb. (we are not using any oracle things)
> Re-Read openldap man pages. (re-read for what :-S
> :wq
> slapadd -f /path/to/slapd.conf -l mydb.ldif
>
> Fix permissions on /var/run so the slapd user can write there -- this
> one is pretty easy
> </snip>

I have successfully migrated ldap to use back-bdb, thanks Matt i followed the steps which you have suggested and it worked :)

However, at first run slapd starting without giving any error or warning but when i stop/start it using 'service ldap restart' it gives me weird warnings/errors....

Checking configuration files for slapd:  bdb_db_open: unclean shutdown detected; attempting recovery.
bdb_db_open: Recovery skipped in read-only mode. Run manual recovery if errors are encountered.
bdb(dc=awpdc,dc=com): PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
bdb_db_open: Database cannot be opened, err -30974. Restore from backup!
bdb(dc=awpdc,dc=com): DB_ENV->lock_id_free interface requires an environment configured for the locking subsystem
backend_startup_one: bi_db_open failed! (-30974)
slap_startup failed (test would succeed using the -u switch)

Running 'db_recover' solved this problem, now slapd stopping/starting working fine without any warning or errors.

Thanks guys I greatly appreciate all your help and support.

Regards, Askar