Re: slapcat hangs without error message

On Feb 20, 2007, at 12:03 AM, <Voigtlaender@hansenet.com> wrote:

Its a slapd 2.2.23 (debian package) with a bdb Backend on a Debian Sarge system. Transaction Logging is enabled, I set the cachesize in DB_CONFIG to 1 GB. I have one Master and two Slaves. On one of the Slaves the slapcat worked until yesterday, today it is broken again. The other Slave is ok. I see no errors in syslogs. My id2entry.bdb is 1,6 GB, in a complete ldif-File I have 31 Mio lines. Could this be a problem ?'

Something like that happened here, a year ago, when a lock got wedged and all access to the locked part of the directory hierarchy would wait forever for it, including slapcat which of course needs access to the entire hierarchy.

db_recover can resolve this situation, of course with slapd out of
service.  If that works for you, then I suppose you're running into
the same problem.  I have no suggestion for how to avoid it, though.
It's clearly a failure on the server side, so whoever's responsible
for the software there needs to look into it.  If that's you, and
not your platform vendor, then you probably should start with more
recent software.

By the way, did you know that the "Re:" commonly seen in email
subject lines is of Latin origin?  It's quite international.

	Donn Cave, donn@u.washington.edu