Re: Announce: Net-LDAPapi version 2.00 released

--On Friday, February 09, 2007 5:21 PM -0600 Chris Garrigues <cwg-dated-1171495262.257439@Trinsics.Com> wrote:

From:  Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu>
Date:  Fri, 09 Feb 2007 01:24:52 -0800

A new release of Net::LDAPapi module is now available for Perl via CPAN.
This release includes compilation against OpenLDAP libraries from
version  2.1 forward.  It now supports LDAPv3, including SASL binds.

I hate to sound critical, but...

Who's responsible for the "object oriented" interface?  It bugs me when a
package claims to have an OO interface, yet there's no use of OO concepts
in  the interface.  It took me a while to convince myself that the values
returned  by first_entry and next_entry aren't actually objects on which
I would then use  the get_values method.

The interface has not been particularly or heavily modified since it was last touched in 1998. The initial 2.00 release is to get a version out that actually works with the modern LDAP api's available, which the old version flat out didn't do. As time allows, I will be going through the code and updating it to conform to current practices and procedures.

I'd rather just use the non-OO interface since it wouldn't mislead me
into  expecting OO behavior.  I assume that still works even though it's
no longer  documented.  Do I just stick "ldap_" on the front of all the
method names?

I personally haven't used it, but I'd assume so, given the following comment in the Changes file:

   - Added Perl-OO methods for virtually all API calls.  The C style
     API calls still work, and will work in all future versions.
     Note that I haven't added named arguments yet, so argument order
     matters.  This should be in the next version.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer