Re: Deny bind for subtree not working?

Please ask software use questions on the openldap-software mailing list.

As per your question about access control in slapd-ldap(5), the answer is in (guess what?) slapd-ldap(5), in the section entitled (guess what?) "ACCESS CONTROL".

As per your question about other means to deny bind for a subtree, the answer is in slapd.conf(5), about the config statement "restrict".

p.

Daniel Hasler wrote:
Hi

I try to deni BIND for all entries in a subtree. I compiled openldap with the LDAP backend, because this is only a proxy that forwards request to another directory.

Following is my configuration:

include         /local/home/hasleda4/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /local/home/hasleda4/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /local/home/hasleda4/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema

pidfile         /local/home/hasleda4/openldap/var/run/gaad-slapd.pid
argsfile        /local/home/hasleda4/openldap/var/run/gaad-slapd.args

database        ldap
suffix          "dc=company,dc=com"
uri             "ldaps://other-dir.net:26930"

access to dn.subtree="ou=people,ou=intranet,dc=company,dc=com" by dn.subtree="ou=applications,ou=intranet,dc=company,dc=com" read
by * none
access to dn.subtree="ou=applications,ou=intranet,dc=company,dc=com" by users read
by anonymous auth
by * none
access to * by * read

As by the first ACL, anonymous users are not allowed to bind against "ou=people,ou=intranet,dc=novartis,dc=com". If I now try to bind, the ACL seems not to be evaluated (I run slapd with -d 128 to see ACL processing, and there is no output during the BIND) and the BIND operation succeeds if I give the correct password.

Is this a bug? Or just how openldap behaves for bind operations?
Is there another way to deny bind operations for a subtree?

Thanks for any response.

Cheers
Dani

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati