Solved: slapd responds very slowly when cpu has 100% usage (but actually low load)

> You need to upgrade to OpenLDAP 2.3. There were a lot of gratuitous
> sched_yield() calls in OpenLDAP 2.2 that were removed in 2.3. These
> sched_yield() calls behave poorly with the scheduler in the Linux
> 2.6 kernel.

I installed 2.3.29 from etch, and it works like a dream. It always
replies instantly.  I even ran two endless loops at nice -19, and the
system became really slow, but slapd still replied instantly.

Thanks for the help!