slapd, bdb, 32-bit -> 64-bit

Hello,

I am trying to use a slapd BDB database created on a 32-bit intel system on a 64-bit (amd64/EMT64) system. Running slapcat on the database works fine, but when the server is started, ldapsearch is unable to find anything.

I understand that there are architectural differences between a 32- bit and 64-bit systems, but I don't think Berkeley DB have any problems with having its data being interchanged between the platforms.

We are running OpenLDAP in a distributed environment where every server has a local copy of the LDAP database for performance and reliability reasons. The database is 6 GB, so it is non-trivial export it to LDIF and import it again on the 64-bit systems. (It takes way too long).

I am setting up one server to just be a spare LDAP slave so we easilly can take it down and copy the database to any new system added to the cluster without causing any downtime anywhere. But this is not possible as long as I cannot use the same database on 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

Would it be possible to make this work at all?

Could this be caused by a platform-dependent variable type being used somewhere, rather than a fixed sized variable type, making slapd interpret the same data diffrently on different platforms?

--
Frode Nordahl