Re: hdb -- moving olc* objects -- expected behavior?

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 05:04:13PM +0200, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> >if the behavior is expected, is there any way to detect
> >from the schema returned by the ldapserver that the attribute/object
> >has a different behavior?
> The reason is quite simple, although subtle: olcModuleLoad has X-ORDERED
> 'VALUES' schema extension, an OpenLDAP reserved extension that is used
> for internal purposes.
is it possible to detect this by looking at the schema returned
by the ldap server? or do I have to add something like 'for openldap,
avoid those attributes'... ?

> The real point is that olc* stuff shouldn't be used for any purpose
> other than built-in configuration via back-config.
What if someone wants to build a directory listing all the configurations
of its own thousand servers, or its own thousands 'standard setups'?

> I note that attributes with X-ORDERED 'VALUES' extension should not
> be allowed in RDN; another option would be to remove the ordering
> portion when checking for DN /entry consistency, but I'd regard
> this as a flawed entry naming design rather than a feature.
I'll change the code, but IMHO it looks already quite flawed to
have attributes that look exactly like other attributes, but
behave differently in such a subtle way...

Thanks a lot,
Cheers,
Carlo

--
  GPG Fingerprint: 2383 7B14 4D08 53A4 2C1A CA29 9E98 5431 1A68 6975