DB_CONFIG not being read.....

I'm running FC-3 with OpenLDAP RPMS (v. 2.2.29). Recently, my backend was corrupted which caused me to rebuild the database. After doing some research, I learned the BDB backend was the "preferred" backend and that support for ldbm is on the way out. So I converted to the BDB format using slapcat/slapadd and a new configuration file. Everything converted fine, but I'm now experiencing worse performance that I did with the ldbm backend.

I've read the online docs about how to tune the BDB backend and added the following parameters to my slapd.conf file

directory       /var/lib/ldap
cachesize 100000
checkpoint 1024 5

In my /var/lib/ldap/DB_CONFIG file I have the following set:

set_cachesize           0         104857600      1
set_lg_regionmax        1048576
set_lg_max              10485760
set_lg_bsize            2097152

However, when I use slapd_db_stat to look at the BDB backend statistics, I see the following:

264KB 48B       Total cache size
1       Number of caches
272KB   Pool individual cache size
212781  Requested pages found in the cache (88%)

It looks like the backend is using some kind of default (264KB) instead of the 100MB I specified. Does anyone know why this may be happening? Hopefully someone can point out an obvious mistake I'm making.

Thanks
Amith