Re: Correct procedure to backup LDAP?

--On Thursday, August 17, 2006 3:08 PM +0800 Roger Thomas <sniper@home.net.my> wrote:

Quoting Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu>:

Why in the world are you using ldbm?  It is a known problematic
database
that has been removed from OpenLDAP 2.4, so it is not portable going

forward.  I highly advise using one of the supported backends (bdb or
hdb).

Am currently running the old 2.0.5 on ldbm. Now how do I upgrade to 2.4? I mean how do I convert my existing records in ldbm format to bdb or hdb?

I am no expert, please go slow. TIA.

Well, to start, I wouldn't go to 2.4 quite yet, it is only in alpha. But I would upgrade to 2.3.25+.

To upgrade, you will need to export your database into LDIF format, either via ldapsearch or slapcat.

Then you'll need to import that LDIF file into a server running the newer version of OpenLDAP (preferably with slapadd). I will note that OL 2.0 was not very strict on data validation, so you may need to clean up the data in your LDIF file some before an import will work correctly.

You'll also need to set up a slapd.conf file that corresponds to the newer syntaxes in 2.3. Reading the Admin Guide & Quickstart Guide @ <http://www.openldap.org> is probably a good start for that.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITS/Shared Application Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html