Re: Correct procedure to backup LDAP?

Jeff Grant wrote:
Hey Quanah -

Here, we're currently using:

Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Thanks for any/all info and tips - I'm not a Linux n00b, but surely a
networking/protocol n00b .. heh.

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Monday, August 14, 2006 12:23 PM -0400 Jeff Grant
<jgrant@voicesignal.com> wrote:

Hey all.

I work at a medium-sized software company and we're about 70-100 users
big now.

We have 2 LDAP servers, and they need to be backed up regularly, *while*
LDAP is running - if possible.

I've seen 'slapcat' as a solution, but I've also read that it's not a
good idea to run this command while LDAP is running.

ldapsearch -x -b "dc=example,dc=com" -h -D "cn=manager,dc=example,dc=com" -y mypass "(objectclass=*)" > /path/to/todays_date.ldif
works for me.. take good care of mypass if you use something like this..
(replace necessary parameters with appropriate one)

Sameer N. Ingole
Better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.