ldap deadlock?

I'm looking for ideas here. ldap seems to deadlock once in a while whereby it continues to accept connections as noted in the log file but it does not return anything to the query, the query just hangs.

It's openldap 2.2.28 using Berkley db 4.2.52 as the backend on a SuSE 9.3 platform. All patches are up to snuff on the OS side.

I'm hoping for pointers to help see what might be going on.

As of today I started running db_deadlock in the background wit the -a y option to see if that helps.

This deadlocking is getting people up in arms here because it is disrupting authentication for the whole campus and I guess I can't blame them.