RE: openldap as caching proxy

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Chu [mailto:hyc@symas.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:24 PM
To: Daniel Maher
Cc: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: openldap as caching proxy

> Assuming you're running OpenLDAP 2.3, have you already read the slapo-
> pcache(5) manpage?

I have read it, along with quite a few man pages, in fact. :)

To be more precise, the problem I am having is summarised as follows:

I am making a query to a Primary Directory Server which provides responses which are outside of the normal scope of OpenLDAP.  The issue is not in requesting them, nor in receiving them, but rather in /caching/ them.

For the sake of argument, let's say that the response is in the form "ploxyAddresses=SMTP:user@domain.com".  Since "ploxyAddresses" is not known to OpenLDAP, I am unsure how to make it cache the result locally.

I defined a valid "attributetype" for "ploxyAddresses", which works.  With this in place, slapd recognizes the request and allows me to reference it in slapd.conf .

I then defined the following:
proxyAttrset    0 ploxyAddresses
proxyTemplate   (ploxyAddresses=) 0 3600
index           ploxyAddresses  eq

slapd starts, and proxies my requests, but when it attempts to cache the result, this is the error output:

=> bdb_substring_candidates (ploxyAddresses)
<= bdb_substring_candidates: (ploxyAddresses) index_param failed (18)

Now, clearly, I don't know what I'm doing.  I will be the first to admit this.  I would very much appreciate some sort of direction on what I should be doing.

Thank you all for your consideration.

--
  _
 °v°  Daniel Maher

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.