[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

Re: slapcat output from 2.0.21 to slapadd to openldap-2.3.24

     you shouldn't have problem with replication.  I actually have it working between RH7.3 (ldbm) to FC5 (bdb).  Modification of passwd also sync's to the slaves on FC5.  
 I also hit the same issue you did, with "o."  when I first added all the data manually from RH7.3 to FC5 with slapadd or ldapadd.
 Plus any lower level which did not exist before, so I basically had to reorder the ldif manually before I was able to run it without errors.  ( ie. uid=user1,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com )

----- Original Message ----
From: Dennis Misc <dennis.misc@gmail.com>
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 3:43:03 PM
Subject: slapcat output from 2.0.21 to slapadd to openldap-2.3.24


I am trying to eventually setup a system where a Redhat 7.0 server
running OpenLDAP 2.0.21 acts as a replication master to a Fedora Core
5 server slave running OpenLDAP-2.3.24.  I've had previous
correspondence from Howard Chu who says this is possible, so hopefully
I'll be able to get the system to work.

First of all, I wanted to see if the LDIF data file dump from the
Redhat7 server can be uploaded to FedoraCore5.  So I ran slapcat from
Redhat7 to create the ldif file.  I used slapadd on the FedoraCore5 to
load the data, and I got this error:
root@fedora5> /usr/sbin/slapadd -v -l data.ldif
. . .
added: "uid=test1,o=HotCoco,c=US" (000002fe)
added: "uid=faldt,o=HotCoco,c=US" (000005aa)
slapadd: dn="o=HotCoco,c=US" (line=12151):
(64) value of naming attribute 'o' is not present in entry

To debug, I created a smaller file with just the following lines, and used
ldapadd to import the data instead, which resulted in the same error.

dn: o=HotCoco, c=US
o: HotCoco.com
objectClass: organization

dn: uid=test1, o=HotCoco, c=US
uid: test1
email: test1@aol.com
firstName: test
lastName: One
zipCode: 10000
age: 2
gender: M
objectClass: htcocouser

When I changed the "o: HotCoco.com" to "o: HotCoco", the error (value
of naming attribute 'o' is not present in entry) went away, and
ldapadd worked.

Can you please explain why this is the case?

I read the Faq-o-matic documentation: ldap_add/modify/rename: Naming violation
which didn't explain this particular problem.. (If it did, then sorry
I missed it, and it probably means that I have more ldap knowledge gap
that I need to narrow before being able to understand it.)

Even though I probably can now load all the data into FedoraCore5,
when I turn on the replication I am afraid that it may not work
properly as I had to manually edit the ldif file to load the data onto
the FedoraCore5.

If import of the data into the FedoraCore5 box with "slapadd -f
data.ldif" worked without making any changes to the data.ldif file, I
would have felt a lot better about setting up the Redhat7 ->
FedoraCore5 replication

Unfortunately I can't test this as the Redhat7 box is in production..
so I was hoping to get advice from the openLDAP community.

Thank you for your help,