UserID's clearing after reboot

I'm somewhat new to OpenLdap and not sure what to check here.

After rebooting the server, all UserID's are being cleared and each are having to be readded. Only the uid set in /etc/openldap/slapd.conf under the 'access to attr' directive remains and is able to readd the other userid's. This is becoming a problem because more and more userid's are being added and each time the server is rebooted we have to readd them. All files in /var/lib/ldap are the same, including the id2entry.bdb file, which I've read is the main database file to be backed up. Are the userid's and password's cached somewhere and not being written to disk? Or is there a temporary file being cleared? I'm running ldap on a SLES9 server.

/etc/openldap/slap.d contains the following:

include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/openldap.schema

schemacheck     on

allow bind_v2 bind_anon_dn

loglevel 256

pidfile         /var/run/slapd/slapd.pid
argsfile       /var/run/slapd/slapd.args

modulepath      /usr/lib/openldap/modules

password-hash   {crypt}

access to attr=userPassword
           by self write
           by self auth
           by dn="uid=****,ou=*******,dc=********,dc=com" write
           by * auth

access to *
          by dn="uid=****,ou=*******,dc=********,dc=com" write

database        bdb
checkpoint      1024    5
cachesize       10000
suffix              "dc=********,dc=com"
rootdn            "cn=root,dc=********,dc=com"

rootpw            ***********

directory         /var/lib/ldap

index   default                         sub
index   uid                              eq
index   cn,sn,givenName,ou     pres,eq,sub
index   objectClass                 pres,eq

##EOF##

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan