Re: openLDAP BDB back-end trouble

Matthew Hardin wrote:
Symas developed and contributed code to back-bdb, back-hdb, and back-ldbm
that detects unclean shutdowns. When this code is triggered, back-bdb and
back-hdb databases are automatically recovered during the next slapd
startup. In the case of back-ldbm the backend will not start up, because
it's a good bet that the database will have errors in it and there is no
error detection or recovery strategy for back-ldbm databases. This
auto-recovery code is now a standard part of OpenLDAP 2.3, obviating the
need for manual db recovery. We back-ported this code to our packaged and
tested distributions of OpenLDAP 2.2, which are called CDS version 2 Silver
(free), and CDS version 2 Gold (fee-based).

Well, to be precise, Symas originally developed this code in our packaged distribution of OpenLDAP 2.2, and contributed it back to the OpenLDAP Project where it was eventually merged into the public OpenLDAP 2.3 release. We develop quite a lot of additional features that don't show up immediately in the public OpenLDAP releases.

--
 -- Howard Chu