Re: Migrating from 2.0.21 to 2.3.19 on Fedora 5

>The problem is that when I import that data using slapadd on a new Fedora
5
>machine (that I installed a OpenLDAP 2.3.19 server rpm package on),  the
>database files that are created have "dbb" extension.  I guess it's the
>Berkeley DB B-tree backend format. as opposed to the GNU DBM backend
format.

You should consider using a "bdb" or "hdb" database in place
of an "ldbm" database (see below).

Thanks Kurt, I need to make as little change as possible on the Redhat7 machine, so on the Fedora5 box, I'll use "bdb" database instead.. as long as replication between the two machines work.

I am not sure if this is a good idea, but I am trying to set the
>Redhat 7.0server with the older OpenLDAP software as a master that
>replicates data to
>the Fedora server.
>Since they are running different versions of OpenLDAP, will this not
work?

2.0 likely cannot handle all the operational attributes
managed by a 2.3 server, but you may be able to filter
those out.  IIRC, there is a FAQ on this (if not, there
should be).

Thanks for the clear explanation and prompt reply, I'll dig through the FAQ
again.

Dmisc