Migrating from 2.0.21 to 2.3.19 on Fedora 5

Hi,

I am new to OpenLDAP, and LDAP in general, and I've been reading the Admin
guide as well as the Faq-O-Matic, and I haven't found a clear answer to
this, so I hope I am not asking obvious questions.  And any help is greatly
appreciated. thank you!

I ran slapcat on an existing OpenLDAP 2.0.21 server running on Redhat
7.0system to create the ldif file.  (stopped ldap the service before
doing
slapcat)  The database files on the 2.0.21 server has "gdbm" extension.
That went smoothly.

The problem is that when I import that data using slapadd on a new Fedora 5
machine (that I installed a OpenLDAP 2.3.19 server rpm package on),  the
database files that are created have "dbb" extension.  I guess it's the
Berkeley DB B-tree backend format. as opposed to the GNU DBM backend format.

I am not sure if this is a good idea, but I am trying to set the Redhat 7.0server with the older OpenLDAP software as a master that replicates data to the Fedora server. Since they are running different versions of OpenLDAP, will this not work?

If not, will the different database formats cause problems with the
replication?

If this won't work because of the different database format, how do I force
slapadd on the Fedora5 server to import the database in .gdbm format?

Also, I am not quite clear on the differences between "backends" and "databases". Or more specifically how bdb or ldbm relates to databses like GDBM or BDB

I really sound silly saying this.. I've read the answers to "what is a
backend?" and "what is a database?" in the Faq-O-Matic, and their
explanation wasn't quite clear to me..

thanks for your help,
Dmisc