Re: SyncRepl limitations

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Mark Mcdonald wrote:

> I'm currently writing a report to justify to the powers above that we
> should upgrade OpenLDAP and move to SyncRepl from slurpd.

You'll be glad you did (upgraded, I mean).  If your version of OpenLDAP is
< 2.3.20 or so you should *definitely* upgrade.

> * Using SyncRepl, what are the time limitations as far as slave
> refreshing goes?  i.e. master & slave are in sync at the moment, can I
> switch off the slave and turn it on a week later and retrieve all adds,
> updates & deletes that occurred in the week or is there a 24hr limit?
> If there's a limit, is it configurable?

It'll keep trying; if there is a limit I haven't noticed it.

> * Again using SyncRepl, is it possible to create a slave from an empty
> DB?  I.e. I create a new slave with an empty DB, can I just start it and
> let syncrepl send the entire contents of the database over the wire?  I
> understand this is a great way to congest the network in practice, but
> I'm only interested in theory at the moment.

Yep, and it's fun to watch :-)

> If these aren't possible using syncrepl out-of-the-box then does anyone
> know any other mechanisms for achieving these goals?

It takes a bit of setting up, but it's worth it.

--
Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU  daveh@ci.com.au  Ph: +61 2 9552-5509 (d) -5500 (sw)
Corinthian Eng'ng P/L, Ste 54 Jones Bay Whf, 26-32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont 2009, AU