SyncRepl limitations

Howdy,

I'm currently writing a report to justify to the powers above that we should upgrade OpenLDAP and move to SyncRepl from slurpd.

A couple of questions:

* Using SyncRepl, what are the time limitations as far as slave refreshing goes?  i.e. master & slave are in sync at the moment, can I switch off the slave and turn it on a week later and retrieve all adds, updates & deletes that occurred in the week or is there a 24hr limit?  If there's a limit, is it configurable?

* Again using SyncRepl, is it possible to create a slave from an empty DB?  I.e. I create a new slave with an empty DB, can I just start it and let syncrepl send the entire contents of the database over the wire?  I understand this is a great way to congest the network in practice, but I'm only interested in theory at the moment.

If these aren't possible using syncrepl out-of-the-box then does anyone know any other mechanisms for achieving these goals?

Thanks
Mark
--
Software/System Engineer