RE: Major revision changes

Quanah,

Thanks for the quick response.

> > Is there really such a difference between schema between these
> > versions that running on a newer version of software will break any
> > sort of configuration issues.  I am not at all familiar
> with openldap
> > or LDAP for that matter, but it strikes me as odd that
> there could be
> > such a difference between two versions of a standardized protocol.
>
> OL 2.0.x was less strict about schema checking, etc, than
> later OL releases.  So if they have a poorly written schema,
> or violate schema standards, their LDIF file will likely not
> work with later releases unless the data is massaged to be correct.

I was afraid this would be the case.

> They can also expect very poor performance and no support
> if/when they hit issues, and of course, they are stuck with
> the ldbm backend, which is known to suffer from data corruption.

The data corruption thing doesn't sit well for me.  I would hope that they have some sort of contingency in place in the event
something that would occur.

Thanks again for the information, I will go back to them with my concerns and see if we can't work something out.

Cheers,

Aaron