[Date Prev][Date Next]
Re: upgrade 2.2.x -> 2.3.x, sync repl replica compatibility?
- To: OpenLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org
- Subject: Re: upgrade 2.2.x -> 2.3.x, sync repl replica compatibility?
- From: Jed Donnelley <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 18:47:04 -0700
- In-reply-to: <4429A8E6.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com> <4429A8E6.firstname.lastname@example.org>
At 02:21 PM 3/28/2006, Howard Chu wrote:
Thanks for taking time to respond Howard.
...If you're running recent enough 2.2 code, any order should be
fine. Logically speaking, since you probably have many consumers and
only a few providers, the path of minimal impact is to change
consumers one at a time and change the provider last. Of course, it
may make sense to upgrade the least stable systems first, regardless
of consumer or provider role.
All our instances are 2.2.29 (or at least 2.2.28). Is that recent
enough? All our replicas are running the Sync replication protocol
in refresh only mode.
We have one relevant production master and many (~6) slaves. Some of
the slaves are under other administrative control. For we who run
the master and some of the slaves it's probably best to upgrade the
master first after testing to insure that an upgraded master seems to
function with all the slave types we know are out there (different
OSs and hardware). At least if we upgrade the master first we have a
fairly simple backoff strategy. Announce, upgrade, and wait to see
if there's any fallout. If there are problems then backup to our old
2.2.29 master and regroup. If there are no problems (watchdog timer
resync, etc.) then we can upgrade the slaves one at a time. It's the
slaves that carry our production read load, so we can function with
the master down for some time.
We expect to dump and restore the master database to and from LDIF
format across the master upgrade. All our slaves will have their
watchdog timers go off, but that will be expected from the
announcement. I will be delighted if we get to the upgraded master
as we've had continuing problems (perhaps once a month) with the
master seemingly getting into some sort of CPU bound deadlock where
we have to kill it hard and end up having to restart all the replicas
- very embarrassing. We're hoping that the upgrade to 2.3.20 will
correct that problem.