Re: structural object class modification from X to Y not allowed

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 18:36 +0100, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

> I was about to reply something like that, as I remember that some
> functionality of manageDIT was present, but I found out that there's no
> structuralObjectClass change capability yet.  I've already added the
> capability to change creatorsName, createTimestamp and entryUUID (which I
> needed to implement cross-database rename in a distributed system); in
> case I might work at structuralObjectClass (based on spare time
> availability, of course).  If anyone is willing to contribute, please
> remember that manageDIT modifications require "manage" access privileges.

I need to partially amend my first posting: you can already change the
structuralObjectClass using the manageDIT; what that control requires is
that the resulting entry complies with the schema.  So, if your entry
initially looks like

dn: sn=CITI,ou=departements,ou=information,dc=int-evry,dc=fr
objectClass: person
cn: Communication and Image
sn: CITI

you can add the organizationalPerson objectClass provided you do
something like

dn: sn=CITI,ou=departements,ou=information,dc=int-evry,dc=fr
changetype: modify
add: objectClass
objectClass: organizationalPerson
-
replace: structuralObjectClass
structuralObjectClass: organizationalPerson
-

and, of course, you need to use the manageDIT control and have "manage"
access to structuralObjectClass.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution