Re: search base question.

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 09:02 -0800, Chad A. Prey wrote:
> All,
>
> We are in the process of rebuilding our LDAP infrastructure. Due to
> legacy email client configuration, each client is configured to use "US"
> as the default search scope. Of course, our humble enterprise is not the
> entire US. How would one have searches for "US" return entries for the
> salk? Should I just duplicate the LDIF entries? Is there a more
> "correct" way?
>
> dn: dc=salk,dc=edu
> objectclass: dcObject
> objectclass: organization
> dc: salk
> o: Salk Institute for Biological Studies
>
> any hints are appreciated.
>
> chad prey - Salk Institute for Biological Studies....where cures begin.

A clean solution would be:

# use the preferred database type
database bdb
suffix "dc=salk,dc=edu"
# ...

database relay
suffix "c=US"
relay "dc=salk,dc=edu"

The latter represents a virtual view of the naming context
"dc=salk,dc=edu" where DN rewriting takes place, i.e. operations scoping
"c=US" are internally rewritten to scope "dc=salk,dc=edu", and the
results are rewritten accordingly whenever applicable.
See slapd-relay(5) for details.  Note that back-relay configuration is
not quite strict about checking consistency, so if you play around with
fancy stuff you might hit ITS#4322 or ITS#4340, which have been fixed in
HEAD but won't likely be released before 2.4 (actually, before ITS#4211
gets addressed).

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution