Long time queris on search string of 3 char

Hi All!
I'm new to this mailing list...
After a lot of time waste to try to understand why I'm here to ask
Why! :-)

So I'v an Openldap server slapd 2.2.13 popolated with about 800 hundred
entries on a P4 2.6 with 512Mb.

I'v noted that on search of substring >3 the result are fast, about
1-3', but when I try to search anything under 3 char the server respond
after 450-500' with different search.

So I think that the ldap search the entire database.

I show you my configuration:
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /usr/share/evolution-data-
server-1.0/evolutionperson.schema
allow bind_v2
loglevel 128
pidfile         /var/run/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/slapd.args
database        bdb
suffix          "dc=MDServer"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=MDServer"
rootpw          xxxxxxxxx
directory       /var/lib/ldap
checkpoint      512     720
index   uid                     eq
index   uidNumber               eq
index   gidNumber               eq
index   memberUid               eq
index   cn,sn                   pres,eq,sub,subinitial,subany,subfinal
index   mail,givenname          pres,eq,sub
index   objectClass             pres,eq
index   memberNisNetgroup       pres,eq,sub
index   nisMapName              eq
index   displayName             eq,pres,sub
cachesize 1000000

Thanks a lot
Alessandro