2.3.17 bdb panic...?

So 2.3.17's been running well since it's release.  Due to lots of db changes and
some hosing I induced with a kill -9 last week, I rebuilt the entire database this
weekend via slapcat/slapadd.  I then dumped my replica and let it rebuilt itself
via syncrepl.    Fine, everything's great.

Then I get back from lunch today to find on BOTH the master and the slave at about
the same time:

bdb(dc=ivytech,dc=edu): PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery

This is on 2.3.17, bdb-4.2.52, Debian 3.1/2.6.x.  Fortunately, a manual db_recover
seems to have fixed it for now at least, but what could've caused this?  And
why/how on both the master and replica?

Thanks,
  John

--