replication strategy for 100s of consumers

Hi,

I have a unique situation and am hoping the experts here can throw in their 2cents worth. I have an app that uses openldap for user authentication and access control. I have one central location with 100s (and may grow to thousands) of remote sites and must be up even when the link back to central is down.

So they somehow need a running copy of openldap on each remote site. I did some testing with syncrepl and slurpd and it seems like syncrepl is more of what I need. I didn't know if slurpd could handle 1000s of consumers?

If I use syncrepl, then the consumer database becomes read-only. (I get unwilling to perform if I try to modify directly). If I am willing to let data get out of sync, is there a way to modify the consumer database directly when running syncrepl?

If you have other recommendations for things I missed, that would be great. The summary:

1 central openldap
100s to 1000s of remote clients
clients must be up when the network is down
Ideal if local client dir could be modified when network is down (change user password for example)

Thanks!

Jim