Re: OpenLDAP version for new server

--On Saturday, November 26, 2005 12:43 PM -0500 Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 09:00:08AM -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> Now _I'm_ confused.  The download page no longer relects that 2.2.30 is
> available; it was yesterday.

The implication is that 2.2.30 is one of the "Other OpenLDAP Releases".
In particular that its a patch release made to update an older release
of OpenLDAP Software.

Ok. that makes sense. I suppose my confusion sets the stage for my next question:

What is the relationship between the 2.2.x and the 2.3.x releases?

Up until yesterday, they seemed to be in lockstep, but I never found a
concise treatment of what was different between them.

I assume this has come up on the mailing lists before, but I couldn't find
the right buzzwords to zero in on a discussion.  Can you suggest any
pointers?

Did you read the OpenLDAP roadmap? This usually lists general differences between the various releases.

Here's some off the top of my head:

Greater stability
New cn=config backend
Complete rewrite of the syncRepl protocol
Addition of delta-syncrepl
Many new overlays
Increased speed
-q (quick) option to the slap tools