replication security

hi everybody,

i have a couple of small questions regarding my openldap replication setup, if anyone knows the answers i would appreciate it enormously :-)

if i run with a cleartext password for the updatedn, and turn off readonly on the slave, all works well, i.e.

replica host=master.my.local:389
 bindmethod=simple credentials=mypass

updatedn "cn=Manager,dc=my,dc=local"
 referral ldap://master.my.local

but i have read that the slave should really be readonly, yet when i add

 readonly on

to the slave configuration, it won't allow me to update!

my other query regards the {SSHA} password option used by the master to bind to the slave, as i can't get this going either. i.e.

 bindmethod=simple credentials={SSHA}dfsEWF4fw4wrqdsFSD

does this hashed manager password need to be generated on the slave or the master? or should either suffice?

thank you very much in advance for any guidance!

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com