Re: OpenLDAP + RHEL4 - time to time database crash (BDB backend)

On 21/09/05, Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:

> --On Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:40 PM +0200 Michal Dobroczynski
> <michal.dobroczynski@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For the past 30 days it happened two times that the database 'just
> > crashed'. For the first time I noticed that it was possible to
> > 'slapcat' the database and suddenly at some point it was simply
> > stopping. Nothing else was possible. I'm making backups of the
> > database every hour.
> >
> > Today it happened again. When I ran slapd with debugging options then I
> > saw: <notes about the release and compilation>
> > Initializing BDB database...
>
> Did you run db_recover after slapd crashed, as is advised and required any
> time slapd has an unclean shutdown?

No. I did not. The thing is, that the server was working constantly
without any shutdowns. The same applies to slapd. But after I noticed
this:

> > Today it happened again. When I ran slapd with debugging options then I
> > saw: <notes about the release and compilation>
> > Initializing BDB database...

I did not run it.

That's the point I don't understand. slapd works w/o any problems for
two or three weeks and then 'boing', suddenly cannot 'communicate'
with the underlying bdb.

Regards,
Michal Dobroczynski