Re: Open LDAP performance tuning

For using db_stat, Should the DB_HOME environment variable be pointing to  db-4.3.28.NC or to /usr/local/var/openldap-data/ ?. Should i use DB_ENV
to open a Berkeley DB environment before using db_stat?
I'm in production and i would like to know if there is a risk in playing with this.
I have openldap 2.2.28 with berkeley db 4.3.28.

Moe

Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:

--On Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:22 AM -0700 Moe
wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a master LDAP that replicats to three slave ldaps. I'm looking to
> enhance the performance of my LDAP system. Basically i have an
> application that access my ldap system. Lots of users are going to access
> it. Can anyone tell me what entries can i add to by slapd.conf file to
> make my system faster?
> Thanks,

Hi Moe,

Here are the main parts to performance tuning OpenLDAP:

1) The DB_CONFIG file if you are using back-bdb or back-hdb. This file
defines several things, most importantly:
a) The DB Cache size to be used for slapadd's and slapindex's
b) The amount of available lockers. The default of 1000 is good for
most set ups, but if you have many indices, you may need to increase this

2) An appropriate "cachesize" and "idlcachesize" setting in slapd.conf.
These settings have the largest impact on performance after indexing

3) Indexing attributes based on the search patterns you see in your
directory. Having proper indexing is key to performance.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer