Re: Open LDAP performance tuning

--On Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:22 AM -0700 Moe <moe_w90@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a  master LDAP that replicats to three slave ldaps. I'm looking to
enhance the performance of my LDAP system. Basically i have an
application that access my ldap system. Lots of users are going to access
it. Can anyone tell me what entries can i add to by slapd.conf file to
make my system faster?
Thanks,

Hi Moe,

Here are the main parts to performance tuning OpenLDAP:

1) The DB_CONFIG file if you are using back-bdb or back-hdb. This file defines several things, most importantly:
a) The DB Cache size to be used for slapadd's and slapindex's
b) The amount of available lockers. The default of 1000 is good for most set ups, but if you have many indices, you may need to increase this

2) An appropriate "cachesize" and "idlcachesize" setting in slapd.conf. These settings have the largest impact on performance after indexing

3) Indexing attributes based on the search patterns you see in your directory. Having proper indexing is key to performance.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html