Re: OL 2.3.x, uid attribute commented out in core.schema

> Samuel Tran writes:
>> The uid attribute definition was commented out in the core.schema file
>> in OL 2.3.x. Why is that?
>
> Because it's now hard-coded into slapd (schema_prep.c), and the old
> core.schema definition would conflict with it.
>
> Come to think of it, maybe slapd should accept schema redefinitions that
> are identical to an existing definition?  Then hard-coded definitions
> could be left in in place in the schema files, and new slapds would not
> conflict with old schemas.  Except, I'm not quite sure if it's a feature
> or a misfeature that one must update core.schema when slapd is
> updated...

This is what back-config does: it (silently?) discards schema
redefinitions that are identical to existing ones.  I think this only
occurs for internal schema (i.e. those that define the configuration
stuff).  Maybe the same could occur for schema items that are read and
match builtin ones, so that (for completeness) core.schema and similar can
be complete and consistent with the related specs...

I bet Howard will reply that core.schema is now replaced by core.ldif... ;)

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it