Re: Problem importing LDIF file

> Intro and background: I'm running OpenLDAP 2.26 on a Suse Enterprise Server
> 9.0.  I'm trying to use the OpenLDAP database to make a portion of Active
> Directory (just usernames, universal group memberships and email addresses)
> available to a segment of the DMZ that can't be allowed access to the entire
> Active Directory infrastructure.  To do this, the AD folks are going to
> provide me a daily LDIF (via a batch process) of all the user objects with
> just the attributes I need values for.  For security reasons, we can't use
> more typical replication techniques.  I need to then use a batch process to
> import those LDIF files into the OpenLDAP database.  I have run into a
> variety of problems linked to the facts that a) I've never used OpenLDAP
> before, and b) I've never used Linux before.  I've managed to get Suse
> installed and OpenLDAP running, so I don't think the situation is completely
> hopeless.

Couldn't you just setup openldap to proxy to the AD server?  You just need
the AD people to create a user for you that has read access to the user
part of the AD tree.

Something similar to this might work for you.

database        meta
suffix          "dc=yourdomain,dc=com"
dncache-ttl     forever
uri             "ldap://adserver:389/ou=system users,dc=yourdomain,dc=com"
binddn          "cn=ldapreaduser,ou=system users,dc=yourdomain,dc=com"
bindpw          "passwd"
pseudorootdn    "cn=ldapreaduser,ou=system users,dc=yourdomain,dc=com"
pseudorootpw    "passwd"
map attribute mail userPrincipalName
map attribute name displayname
map attribute member memberOf

access to *
        by dn.children="ou=system users,dc=yourdomain,dc=com" read