Re: slapd/bdb stability problem

On Thursday 02 June 2005 20:01, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Thursday, June 02, 2005 12:42 PM +0200 Steffen Hansen
>
> <steffen@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > We use OpenLDAP in the Kolab project, but after switching to the
> > bdb backend there have been several reports about stability
> > problems. Slapd sometimes seems to hang when someone tries to write
> > to the database (for example with ldapadd).
> >
> > The complete description is available at
> > https://intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue707
> >
> > Currently we use openldap-2.2.23 and db-4.2.52.2. Do you have any
> > suggestions on how I can get to the bottom of this problem? Anyone
> > else having similar problems? I'm out of ideas here, so any kind of
> > help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.
>
> Have you configured a DB_CONFIG file?  BDB definitely will have
> issues with any decent size database if you have not configured the
> database properly.

DB_CONFIG has

set_cachesize   0       26214400        1
set_tmp_dir /dev/shm

and slapd.conf has

database        bdb
cachesize       2000
checkpoint      512 10
idlcachesize    10000
idletimeout     10

> Also, OpenLDAP-2.2.23 is a little old now (2.2.26 is the current
> stable release).

Dieter Klünter has suggested that upgrading wouldn't help much.

The problem is worsened by the fact that I can't reproduce it myself. On
my test-server slapd seems to act just fine.

Anyway, thanks to all for the suggestions so far!

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se