Re: how to ssl only, not tls?

Well, as TLS and SSL refer to the same data security
technology, your question seems a bit confused.  If
you mean TLSv1 vs, say, SSLv2 (or some other pair of
TLS/SSL versions), you can enable/disable versions of
TLS/SSL via TLS cipher suite options.  See OpenSSL
documentation for cipher suite options.

If, however, what you mean is to only allow initiate use
of TLS via use of a separate port, e.g., ldaps://, instead
of by the LDAP Start TLS operation, I don't recall
an option to disable Start TLS operation while allowing
use of ldaps://.  Generally, it is best to provide the
standard track mechanism for initiating TLS/SSL (if one is
going to allow TLS/SSL to be initiated).

The error message below happens regardless of which
mechanism is used to initiate TLS/SSL.  Have you gotten
OpenSSL's sample client/server programs working with your
certificates?  If not, you should start there.