Re: slapd failed to start, please help.

On Sun, 29 May 2005, sam wun wrote:

Hi list,

After compiled ldap with the following options, I succesfully started slapd.
BACKEND_ENABLE=yes WITH_BDB_VER=42 WITH_RCORDER=slapd

But when I tried to data to the ldap with the following command, it asks me for ldap password. What password I should enter here?
ldapadd -W -D "cn=admin,dc=authtec,dc=com" -f /usr/local/work/authtec.ldif -x
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

[cut]

The password that you have assigned to "cn=admin,dc=authtec,dc=com"
(see below).

database bdb suffix "dc=authtec,dc=com" rootdn "cn=admin,dc=authtec,dc=com" rootpw secret

directory /var/db/openldap-data
replogfile /var/db/replication.log

index cn,sn,mail,uid eq
index objectclass eq

Another question is do I still need back-ldap module?

The answer depends on what you need OpenLDAP for, and you are the only person who can determine that. Read the man page for slapd-ldap(5) to learn more about back-ldap, and read these FAQ articles about the various back ends:

  Kirk Turner-Rustin       | Programmer/Analyst
  Ohio Wesleyan University | Libraries and Information Services
  http://www.owu.edu       | http://lis.owu.edu