Re: slapd fails to start after reboot

--On Thursday, May 12, 2005 4:33 PM -0400 Greg Petras <gpetme@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi -

I'm running OpenLDAP 2.2.26. I've tried this on RedHat WS 4.0 as well
as Solaris 9. I'm using 'database bdb' with BerkeleyDB 4.2.52 (with
patches recommended by Quanah). I can get the setup to properly do the
whole Kerberos/LDAP/SASL thing, but if I reboot the server slapd
doesn't come back up properly (log output below). I guess I'd have to
do a db_recover to get this working again, but isn't there a cleaner
way to ensure that the database shuts down clean on reboot? I've read
that the proper way to shutdown slapd is via 'kill -INT', but that's
what my init script already does. Does anyone know what I'm missing
here?

If you have an unclean shutdown, you have to recover the database. Rebooting is going to be unclean.
In OpenLADP 2.3, there is an automatic recovery process that takes place in the event of an unclean shutdown.
I'd wager that when you reboot the system, slapd is getting killed by the shutdown process and not via -INT.
On my 2.2 systems, I simply have an init script that only runs during system startup that will run db_recover before slapd is started, so in the case of a reboot, the system recovers cleanly.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer