"invalid size limit" on some searches

As part of an upgrage from Suse 9.0 to Suse 9.3, openldap was upgraded
to version 2.2.

Everything is fine, except that searches from one particular client (not using openldap) fail, with errors logged as

 slapd[10411]: conn=1 op=1 SEARCH RESULT tag=101 err=2 nentries=0
 text=invalid size limit

We've got a back-up server running slapd 2.1 which is still working
fine with the same client that is failing against the 2.2 system.

Any help in what I should be looking for to further understand the problem and fix it would be most welcome.

-j