RE: MessageID integer problem

Title: RE: MessageID integer problem

Hi Pierangelo,

OK. I have some extra details:

The client that gives me the problem is 2.0.27. It is running from Linux. Unfortunately I did not get the version or build, but they are several different ones ( I experience it from all the parties I communicate with, they have different Linux versions all running on Intell).

My server is running on Win2K server, service pack 4, running on a DLC 360 with latest networkdrivers. It also happens on my workstation, Win2K, service pack 3.

I wrote my own BER encodig/decoding. The server application is written in VB.NET, so cycling the libber routines was not an option. An LDAP request would typically start with a tag (hex 30 ) indicating the start of the message and the lenght of the message. Next it would contain the message ID followed by whatever is requested,(search, add, modify, delete, whatever).

What my routine does is quit simple. Let's take the correct working number:

02 <- Tag for integer (Message ID)
02 <- Length, in this case 2, so the next two bytes are the lenght:
80 <- 128 * 256 = 32,768
00 <- 0

So the ID number is 32,768. What I am getting right after message ID 32,767 is :

02 <- Tag again
03 <- Length is in next three bytes
00 <- 0
80 <- 128 * 256 = 32,768
ff <- 255

Thus I calculate 33,023 Which is what I return. Then everythings halts. As stated before I guess the client is expecting something else. On windows it runs OK. I tried emulating this behaviour on the windows by on purpose sending a wrong ID back and indeed that causes the LDAP modify to hang. I use ldapmodify version 2.0.25, build with MS VC++ 6.

Since I have never heard of any problem updating the OpenLDAP server with large numbers of messages my guess is I am overlooking something in my server. But what ?

Thanks for our effort so far.

Jeroen